Thursday, July 1, 2010

Orange-Y Likenesss : An ode to Orange

Many reasons,I do have a likeness for anything that goes like more orange-y...smell of orange flowers, squirting orange peels into each other's faces when we were all kids. I am in love, with the smell and taste of oranges. If oranges were purple instead of orange-y, I'd have loved them with same candor. Personally I am not into incorporating orange into my wardrobe, simply this isn't my colour, it looks palatable and what looks palatable can't be or rather shouldn't be worn.
;-)




GOLDSPOT, we all had it in childhood. At least, if you've lived in 90's India. Goldspot and Uncle chips were our integral part of having brush ups with non existent junk foods on that era.
It was great, softy and so children always had it for their outings. Gradually we graduated into Coke and Pepsi. But Goldspot holds a similar fondness inside our heart. Tangy sweet, making our tongue orange-Y while tickling it with it's sour notes and making our little hands and dresses sticky in spills and swirls. RIP Goldspot.


A regular incidence of childhood, baba after returning from work, used to take me out for a walk to the park nearby. And the bate was, either I can have a Goldspot or a Kwality ice-cream. Not both. I used to choose one on my way to the park but on returning home I used to nag for the other one, they both were amazing like the"wunderbar"....another one to RIP with the dusty Goldspot bottles Thankfully Snickers and other orange fizz came to fill up the void with similar calorific gluttony. Though I'm more into coke now, liquid or powdered.






Now let's get down to the business, shall we? why my blog has gotten such a compounded weird name, Sméagol & the Orange marmalade ?! Orange Marmalade is my favourite and only jam I can withstand on the breakfast table. I do have a ''Lord of the rings'' hangover, so Gollum's hissing of ''m(ah)y preciousss'' is bitter-sweet to my ears. A big Godfather hangover is there but all can't be incorporated at the same place, just imagine the horror if the blog goes by the name of ''Sméagol & the Orange marmalade : straightened them out'' . So I'm leaving the gun behind and taking the cannoli instead. Safe and sweet. It's all about having a Sicilian Orange in my heart.:)


2 comments:

  1. kudos !!! and enough of reasons for the blog name to be such.
    just a note: orange marmalade ... my favourite on the breakfast table too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The German equivalent of Gold Spot in my youth was "Fanta", rather sticky when spilled on the table and prickly on the tongue. But yes, a treat at birthday parties. I now graduated to chilled red grapefruit juice, there's nothing better.
    As for jam, the sweet bitterness of orange marmalade is kind of giving me some kicks too, but try sour sweet goose berry or red current jam, that's heaven!
    My own indulgence with the orange color goes from candles and napkins to a beautiful shiny ceramic fruit bowl I couldn't resist buying this spring. It is lighting up our kitchen like the sun.

    ReplyDelete